2 packs sliced bacon
1 romaine lettuce heart, chopped
2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
2 stalks of celery, sliced 5mm thick
30g Cowtown Sweet Spot rub
15mL canola oil
15mL white wine vinegar (substitute lime juice)
½ shallot, very finely diced (substitute with ¼ small red onion)
Charcoal Companion Flame Friendly Ceramic Bacon Bowl Rack
Continuous monitoring thermometer
Heat resistant gloves
- Preheat the oven or grill to 400F.
- With the hollows of the bowls facing down, weave strips of bacon around the raised mounds of the rack.
- Place on a preheated grill or oven and cook until bacon is crispy. Remove and allow it to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 so you have a total of 8 bowls
- Remove bacon bowls, drain and wipe grease and flip the rack. Place bacon bowls into the hollows of the bowl so they can be filled with chicken salad.
- Make a paste of the rub and canola oil and rub it into the chicken breasts and then wrap and let marinate overnight.
- Preheat the smoker to 225F with a medium-to-mild wood (avoid hickory or mesquite for this recipe as they can have a pretty bold flavour).
- Smoke the chicken breasts for approximately 1 hour or until the thickest part of the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F with your continuous monitoring thermometer.
- Shred chicken breasts allow to cool and reserve for salad mix.
- Marinate diced shallots in vinegar for 30 minutes.
- Mix chopped romaine, celery, pulled chicken and mayonnaise together in a large bowl.
- Fill bacon bowls with salad and garnish with marinated onions.